Company general information:
TOYOTA is one of the world’s largest automobile manufacturers and a leading global corporation.
Founded in 1937. Toyota now sells vehicles in 170 countries and employs over 300.000 people.
Based in Brussels, Belgium, and staffed by 2.700 people and more than 60 nationalities,
Toyota Motor Europe (TME) handles the wholesale marketing of Toyota and Lexus vehicles, parts & accessories, and manages Toyota’s European R&D, manufacturing and engineering operations.
The Vehicle Performance Engineering division (VPE) is part of the R&D group at Toyota Motor Europe Technical Center in Zaventem, Belgium. Our division is in charge of:
• Identifying market requirements and trends, and turning them into development targets for vehicles, their subsystems, and down to components
• Performance development of passenger vehicles for the European market
• Researching state of the art and beyond state of the art technologies for implementation in future vehicles
• Developing the state of the art methods to set these requirements, predict the performances and validate them
The Reliability & Strength team is responsible for the structural durability and strength of the body-in-white and chassis.
The Reliability & Strength team is looking for a motivated Engineering Intern with strong interest in data science applied to mechanical engineering.
Your primary responsibility will be to develop a prediction method for the body outer panel strength (doors, roof, hoods) based on machine learning in order to reduce the amount of simulations during development and thus streamline our development process.
A strong correlation is known between several features of the outer panels and their strength. Your tasks in order to create a predictive model based on this correlation will be:
- Collecting the data
o Extracting features from CAD/FEM and automation thereof
o Possibly generating more data by FEM and/or test.
o Creating a usable database for machine learning
- Configuring and fitting a model
- Validating it on new data
To do so, you will be part of a team with competencies in mechanical engineering and data analysis with an access to state of the art prediction tools and to necessary testing facilities.
• You are fluent in English (verbal/written), additional European language skill is an asset
• You have a background in data analysis and science including machine learning techniques, experience in Python (Scikit-learn, statsmodels, keras,…) is an asset
• You have some basic knowledge of mechanical engineering, structural FEM and CAD
• You have strong analytical problem solving skills reinforced by good common sense
• You are a quick and eager learner with a flexible mind and good eye for details
• You are a team player with good communication skills inside a multicultural environment
• You are self-organized and can manage your time
Place of employment: Belgium - Brussels (Zaventem): Toyota Motor Europe, Technical Centre
Starting date: ASAP
Duration: 6 months
Confidentiality: Some of the project content may have to be treated as confidential and therefore not shown explicitly in the internship report.
It is mandatory that applicants are students for the entire period of the internship. Interested in this internship, please apply online via www.toyotajobs.com.
We can only accept students with an EEA or Swiss citizenship (not requiring a work permit or visa to be eligible to perform an internship in Belgium)