Reports to: Communications Manager and Finance Coordinator
Details: 36 hours/week, 6-months period.
Location: WFTO Office, in Culemborg, the Netherlands (working language is English).
Timeline: From February – July 2021 (starting date negotiable)
- Providing support on a range of communications initiatives that support Fair Trade Enterprises
- Providing assistance with administrative and financial tasks in an international organisation
- Part of small team, working closely with senior leadership and online volunteers
- Global role, regularly engaged with people from across the world
The World Fair Trade Organization (WFTO) is the home of Fair Trade Enterprises. With a membership of over 400, we support and represent Fair Trade Enterprises from over 72 countries, and the organisations that support them. Our members are social entrepreneurs and artisans, farmers and campaigners, innovators and Fair Trade pioneers.
A Fair Trade Enterprise has Fair Trade as its identity. This means a full commitment to the 10 principles of Fair Trade as their core mission. WFTO members have been assessed by their peers and have been independently audited to confirm this. Our Standard looks at every aspect of a business and confirms whether it is truly a Fair Trade enterprise. We verify that the entire business and its systems for managing their supply chains have embraced Fair Trade and prioritise the interests of farmer, workers and artisans.
WFTO is governed by an elected Board of nine directors and maintains a small office in Culemborg, the Netherlands, to co-ordinate its activities. There are also multiple regional branches of the WFTO that maintain small offices.
The Finance and Communications Intern assists with diverse tasks ranging from support in the financial administration to participation in developing the corporate communication of WFTO.
Main tasks and responsibilities
Depending on the qualification of the intern, a combination of the following tasks may be assigned:
- Creating and sending invoices and receipts for WFTO membership fees.
- Monthly compilation of reports on membership fee collection and follow-ups.
- Updating the membership database with financial figures.
- Other financial and administrative tasks.
- Assisting in managing the online team of social media interns who are working remotely.
- Assisting in developing stories and scheduling posts for social media.
- Assisting in developing WFTO communication strategies and plans.
- Updating and maintaining the WFTO website and the Members Only website.
- Supporting development and roll out of celebration campaigns, particularly World Fair Trade Day, including through creating social media posts and by supporting members with information so they can conduct events.
- Interpreting analytics and insights and recommending good practices.
- Keeping WFTO members informed of developments in the global Fair Trade movement.
- Preparing monthly electronic e-mail updates to members, channelling relevant enquiries and commercial opportunities.
- Responding to requests for information from members and the public, usually by email.
The assistant may be expected to perform additional tasks to support other staff members within the framework of the employment contract.
Key competences and personal attributes
A highly motivated, well-organised and hands on person, able to manage her/his own time and work priorities, with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Well organized and detail-oriented way of working.
- Analytic thinking skills and affinity for numbers.
- Proven IT skills including MS Office (Word, Access, PowerPoint, Photoshop, lay-out).
- Fluency in spoken and written English (near native level).
- The ability to juggle competing priorities and perform well under pressure.
- Understanding of and commitment to the philosophy of Fair Trade.
This is an unpaid internship. The board and lodging of the trainee during the internship period will be the responsibility of the intern. We encourage the intern to look for grants to cover the cost of stay in the Netherlands during the training period.
WFTO provides a monthly allowance of EUR 500 to cover basic costs for its interns (such as accommodation and travel).
Application and deadline
Those interested in this position should email their cover letter and CV, in English, to [email protected] no later than 10 December 2020. Please include the subject line ‘Finance &Communications Internship 2021’ in your email. Candidates are requested to inform if they have the right to work in the Netherlands.
* Due to privacy requirements and regulations, all CVs and application letters will be deleted within 3 months of the application.