We are a local environmental organization involved in the recovery of old local seed varieties on the terrace area of the Amalfi Coast. We are looking for an intern to organize and assist in the creation and implementation of field experiments and cultivation of a rare local tomato variety "Re Fiascone" and examining soil quality via insect bio-indicators.
- Be part of all of the 2019 tomato production phases (preparations, cultivation, harvest, logistics, and others)
- Managing of experimental fields: Plan, implement and register effects of various agricultural methods for tomato cultivation on a terraced landscape. Coordinate assisting volunteers in this task over short periods
- Work together with local farmers, collect information about their management methods and assist them in cultivational matters in collaboration with an agronomist.
- Establish a code for production purposes
- Take soil samples from our current cultivation fields and examine insect biodiversity, identify insects and conclude upon their role as bio-indicators & elaborating a soil quality index during the entomology project
- Assist in other of the association’s projects
You will learn:
- About the local seed variety “Re Fiascone”, its cultivation & tradition and the specific ecological and agricultural situation of the terraces of the Amalfi Coast
- The connections between agricultural, environmental and local development issues
- Local terrace cultivation, and corresponding project implementation and coordination
- The design of experimental fields in this context
- Theoretical and practical soil quality examination, insect identification and biodiversity measurement
- Have a background in environmental or agricultural science
- Speak English on a sufficient working level (B2)
- Are an active and curious learner and independent worker
- Enjoy working in international environments and working in a team of a young organization and start-up engaged in different projects
During the selection phase will consists of a skype interview, discussing work preferences and duration of the internship.
Knowledge of Italian is considered an important plus.
For more details visit the links below:
Official website: http://www.acarbio.org/
The Re Fiascone tomato – season 2018: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2cyUrsHHsY&t=6s