The student will develop a research project in the field of Organometallic Chemistry and Catalysis, mainly focused on group 10 transition metals, in the research group "Design of Organometallic Molecules and Applications" (DOGMA group) at the Institute of Chemical Research (IIQ) in Seville.
Tasks will comprise:
• Utilization of Synthetic Methodologies using inert atmosphere.
• Utilization of characterization techniques such as Nuclear Magnetic Resonance, Mass Spectrometry, X-ray Diffraction and Infrared Spectroscopy.
• Writing of Progress Reports
• Writing of Synthetic procedures
The student will acquire skills in the following areas:
- Design and development of synthetic methodologies for the synthesis of transition metal complexes. Understanding the electronic properties of the organometallic complexes and bonding situations.
- Synthetic procedures using inert atmosphere: Schlenk techniques, glove-boxes, high-pressure equipment
- Characterization of Organometallic compounds using:
• Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
• Mass Spectrometry
- Catalysis, including mechanistic studies, DFT calculations
- Report writing and Elaboration of Synthetic Procedures
The student will be involved in a state-of-the-art project and will develop key synthetic skills that can later be applied in R&D in an academic or industrial environment