Humans in the Loop is an award-winning social enterprise and charity providing training and employment opportunities to refugees, asylum seekers and other conflict-affected people in Bulgaria and the Middle East.
The Social Impact and Community Development intern would have a crucial role in improving the quality and efficiency of our social impact, and in building a sense of community amongst our workers and beneficiaries. We are looking for a Masters or advanced Undergraduate student with experience in social work, project management, and /or international development.
The individual should be passionate about refugee integration, taking into consideration cultural and gender specifics.
It is necessary that the individual should be able to speak a good level of Arabic in order to be able to create feedback forms and organise interviews and focus groups with our beneficiaries in Arabic.
· The intern would take responsibility measuring HITL's social impact, including writing a Social Impact Report for 2021. This would include planning and implementing all data collection tools, surveys, focus groups and questionnaires.
· It is expected that the intern would do a number of one to one interviews with a number of our workers to gain an understanding of their experience with the organisation.
· The intern is expected to use quantitative and qualitative analysis of all the findings to create a comprehensive report including recommendations on how to improve the way that we work in order to make a greater impact.
- Utilising community development approaches to identify where gaps in provision by HITL and other organisations are, and to work with colleagues to develop new projects to fill these gaps.
· Additionally, the intern will work with the Chief Impact Officer to develop and/or improve existing project management frameworks of HITL, such as theory of change, logical framework, value chain analysis, M&E plan, etc.
· Develop and/or improve other existing Monitoring and Evaluation materials, such as surveys and assessments
· Develop and/or improve existing policies and strategies
· Contribute to fundraising efforts by researching grant opportunities and drafting grant applications
- Support the Training Coordinator with planning and implementing new training programmes.
- Leading a committee including members of our community group, to plan regular events (online and in person) to build up a sense of community amongst our beneficiaries.
Profile of candidate:
· Masters or Advanced Undergraduate student in Social Work, International Development, Education, Middle Eastern Studies, Arabic studies, Sociology, or other relevant fields
· Experience with international development projects, fundraising and grant application drafting and/or refugee integration
- An understanding of the community development approach
· Knowledge of relevant frameworks such as logframes, theories of change, M&E standards, etc.
· Knowledge of the current refugee crisis as well as the countries of origin of refugees: Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan and their cultural specificities
· Good English and Arabic
Candidates are expected to join HITL’s team on site in Sofia, Bulgaria, but it is also possible to do some of the work remotely. The company will provide the necessary documents for applying for a visa for Bulgaria, if needed.
Please note this position is unpaid and the company is not able to provide support for housing and travel expenses
Dates: Interns are welcome from August 2021 onwards. A minimum commitment of 6 months is required, up to a year is desirable.