Help MovingWorlds accelerate its growth and impact by improving, designing, and building technology needed to deliver world-positive programs.
Job Description & Impact
We are looking for someone that loves building software for the web and wants to use these skills to help MovingWorlds grow, improve, and ultimately, be more impactful.
Working directly with our Director of Engineering, your primary tasks will include:
- Ship improvements on our AWS NodeJS existing website, with the goal of assuming ownership over the codebase
- Continue to manage and optimize PostgreSQL database to analyse and extract data
- Integrate our platform and database with Zoho One apps, telemetry tools (Segment, Google Analytics) as well as our Teamie LMS
- Work with Google Suite for marketing, sales, and reporting tools to improve processes and operations
- Help our team unlock the power of data to make better business decisions
- Collaborate with our Director of Engineering to plan and then build our next generation platform to support our scaling company
In your first 100 days, you can expect to:
- Collaborate with our Director of Engineering to understand key software ecosystem we use
- Analyze code on most critical existing features, and provide suggestions
- Participate in design and planning sessions for Tech department
- Execute code changes, conduct code reviews
- Setup performance metrics, tests, and alerts on key workflows
As time goes on, we expect this role to continue to evolve with you and the company’s growth.
Social impact commitment
As a “social purpose corporation” (aka Benefit Corporation) we exist to help accelerate the progress of a more impactful, global social enterprise movement that employs more people in world-positive jobs. We absolutely look for mission alignment in all our team members.
Skills and experience
We are looking for a software engineer with a Bachelor/Masters degree in computer science or related field and a strong desire to learn and to be an individual contributor in a very central/important role.
Your manager will be our Director of Engineering, who will help you prioritize responsibilities, and support you in your projects as needed, including strategy, planning, and code reviews. MovingWorlds is a small organization, so you will also work with every person on the team, including the CEO.
Working at MovingWorlds
MovingWorlds is the #10 company in the Escape the City top companies to escape to / work for. We have a series of principles to help our global teamwork together effectively:
- Be Catalytic
- Take risks on behalf of our users - embrace the failure that comes with it
- Stay focused on scale
- Create your own efficiencies
- Act with deliberate urgency
- Think Fast and Slow
- Be open, curious, and analytically constructive
- Be strategic
- Think long term
- Get to the root
- Build and Give Trust
- Believe in your fellow team members
- Invest in personal well-being
- Own your own development & learning
MovingWorlds is a social enterprise in the process of scaling globally. To prioritize our mission and keep as much equity as possible with our current and expanding team, we are expanding without raising additional capital. This means we’re looking for core team members open to a small base salary and more aggressive equity package.
- Salary offering between 2,500 up to 5,000 USD/month base + benefits - based on experience.
- Your monetary salary will be below market for the near future, and as a social enterprise, we can’t guarantee that your salary will ever be as high as that of international corporations
- We’ll give you a base salary to cover the bare necessities, and then tie your salary to revenue growth. Last year, we grew 40% and this year we are on pace to do the same. In other words, a raise is likely within 12 months.
- Attractive equity package, per our Employee Stock Option Plan, will make up the difference between your market value and paycheck
- We’re looking for a core team member that is interested in equity and tying their personal success to that of our entire team
- Health benefits, or a stipend of up to $180 / month for it (after 1 month vesting period)
- Flexible vacation policy - just stay on top of your commitments
- Learning and development opportunities - our team is passionate about people development and we want to know your learning goals. Based on them, we’ll help you find a mentor or fund a learning journey
- Be a part of a team that is building a better world
- Learn software by tacking real-world business problems
- Learn about social entrepreneurship
- Learn how to scale a business through lean startup principles
- Work with a growing startup team of like-minded and highly motivated colleagues
- Be part of a virtual team that lets you work from anywhere as the team grows (but our expectation that your business hours time zone overlaps 80% with local time in Portugal)
- Get amazing connections and insights across the social enterprise ecosystem
- A fully paid trip to someplace cool every year for our team retreat (if travel situation allows)
Our team is international with team members coming from 5 countries and a diverse set of skills. While we pride ourselves on supporting a very diverse community, we are also increasing our investment and education for our own team, as well as building a team that is more representative of the diverse community we serve. As of 2020, we have implemented new policies, including attempting to eliminate bias out of our hiring process. This is done with:
- All applications will be analyzed using a set standard based on the skills outlined above
- Structured interviews with set questions across candidates are conducted to assess against predetermined role requirements
- The hiring process will involve a skills-test and a cognitive test that will be benchmarked against a set standard and reviewed by a panel
Once you apply with a CV, cover letter, coding public profile (GitHub, StackOverflow or similar) and self-assessment, you can expect the following:
- Week 1 from apply date - Application is reviewed and coding challenge is assigned, due within 7 days.
- Week 2 - Coding challenge is assessed
- Week 3 - Problem solving collaborative session with hiring manager
- Week 4 - Cultural fit interview with CEO
- Week 5 - Hiring decision
Our application period is scheduled to close on Feb 15th 2021. We will review applications on a rolling basis, and we will also commit to reviewing and responding to every application. We reserve the right to close the applications early or extend the deadline.
If you feel this sounds like you, please send us your CV and cover letter, addressing:
- What skills you bring to a team
- What excites you about this position
- Why you’re a great fit for this role and our company
- What you hope to learn in the process of working with our team