This project is an incredible opportunity for someone who has the desire to go into a career in volunteer management, or simply wishes to develop their people management skills in an NGO setting. The intern will primarily be supporting our new project, Young Caritas.
Starting in autumn 2020, Young Caritas is the first time that Caritas Sofia has had a specific youth arm, and the intern will have the opportunity to be involved in this project from this inception. Responsibilities will include:
- Recruitment of young people from all backgrounds, including beneficiaries of other Caritas Sofia projects.
- Decoration and refurbishment of the meeting space, which has been provided by the municipality
- Development of partnerships with local schools, universities and youth groups.
- Supporting the development of policies and working procedures.
- Supporting the young people within the group to self-manage, including appointment of key positions such as Chairperson and Secretary.
- Involvement and guidance on the development of new initiatives such as campaigns and events, that the young people within the group have thought of and helping with their implementation.
- Supporting funding applications and fundraising campaigns.
- Providing regular social media updates and website content for Caritas Sofia channels.
- Supporting the young people with skills development and confidence building, with the aim of the group becoming completely self-governing.
In addition to the two projects above, general responsibilities of the intern will be:
- Using their own initiative to develop new activities in the context of Caritas Sofia’s activities.
- Visiting and taking part in other projects and initiatives of the organisation
- Participate in meetings and trainings with other NGOs and state institutions.
- Support the Volunteer Coordinator in the development of internal policies and practices relating to volunteering
If interested, the intern will also have the opportunity to volunteer with and to support volunteers in participating in any other Caritas Sofia projects based in Sofia including:
- Home care services
- Mobile services for homeless people
- A centre for people with disabilities
- A centre for children at risk in the Roma region of Fakulteta
- A centre for single mothers and vulnerable women
- An integration centre for refugees, migrants and asylum seekers
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Good IT skills including use of Word, Excel, Social media and Content Management systems
- A desire to help some of the most vulnerable people in society
- Understanding and empathy for young people who may demonstrate challenging behaviour
- A commitment to equal opportunities and access to volunteering for all young people, regardless of their background, religion, or abilities
- Proficient use of English language
- A desire to develop professionally and personally through the course of the project
- A belief in the life-changing and affirming nature of volunteering
- The ability to work alone and as part of a team
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to the project
- No criminal record