This role is extremely important to our organization and we therefor offer this postion without charge and with included free accommodation. Our volunteers come from all over the world from a variety of different back grounds. For many it is their first time in South America and for some it is the first time they have ever been away from home. Adjusting to the cultural differences and getting settled into their projects can be a challenge. To help with this adjustment it is important to create a solid volunteer community. Maintaining close relations with our volunteers is the key to being successful in this position, as you will play a central part in the experience of most of the other volunteers. In this role you will work closely with our staff and get an inside look to the workings of a small charity. It is a great position to gain experience for those who are interested in entering the charity world.
Volunteer Roles/ Working Hours
- Meeting and greeting new volunteers, including running the welcome induction and walking tour
- Organising volunteer activities, such as theme nights, outings and the weekly volunteer lunch
- Taking new volunteers to their projects and helping to settle them in there
- Conducting intro interviews with volunteers after they have settled in to check in with them and help them set goals that they would like to achieve while they are here.
- Accompanying/supporting volunteers if they need to go the doctors/hospital/police, etc.
- Helping out in the OCN office, including responding to email enquiries, some general admin tasks and helping with recruitment.
- Normal working hours: largely 9am to 1pm Monday to Friday; early/evening/weekend meet & greets.
- Spanish Level to Start Project: Higher Intermediate
- Time Commitment: Min 6 months
- Minimum Age: 21 years old
- Fluent English (written and spoken)
- Knowledge/previous studies related to development/Latin America/social work/psychology/human resources would be a real bonus
- Excellent communication/ conflict resolution/ interpersonal skills
- Experience in working with people from different cultural backgrounds
- Mature and positive attitude with a good sense of humour
- Hard working and enthusiastic