Are you eager to use your skills in Web Design to enable an NGO to spread its mission? Would you like to help improve the livelihoods of low-income communities in the long term? Then join us in Peru as part of the Otra Cosa Network team!
About Otra Cosa Network:
Otra Cosa Network is a well-established UK Registered Charity and Peruvian registered not for profit (NGO), addressing the educational needs of children and vulnerable adults in an extremely impoverished area of Northern Peru. We work in informal settlements where many community members have been displaced by climate change, disaster and political instability. They live in precarious circumstances, few have running water, sewage provision and there is only sporadic electricity. Additionally, many children are forced to work instead of continuing their education, in order to boost family finances and there are no community-based facilities for learning and developing new skills in a safe environment.
Our dynamic range of activities address language skills, environmental awareness, women’s entrepreneurship, youth, employability and gender empowerment. We are seeking volunteers to work in project implementation in our new Recreation and Education Centre as well as our field office. Projects will restart as soon as the community is safely able to come out of isolation, post coronavirus. Our range of activities are implemented by national and international volunteers, allowing them to express solidarity whilst boosting their field experience.
About the Web Developer position:
OCN is looking for a web designer to help us improve our website on a voluntary basis! Together with the Marketing and Communications Manager, you will be responsible for updating the design, structure, and content of the Otra Cosa Network website. Additionally, we are looking for a web developer that can work on developing a new website based on the design and format that we already have.
- Working in cooperation with our Marketing and Communications Manager in establishing and maintaining significant content vital to our online presence
- Developing not only a visually appealing but also an easily navigable design that allows our web traffic to efficiently access information
- Utilization of WordPress and Web Applications and programming languages such as HTML and CSS
- Analysis and implantation of web-traffic data using Search Engine Optimization
- Expanding on existing and new digital/ web designs based on our organization’s existing templates and formats.
- Troubleshoot any problems or obstacles during the web development process
- Personal pick-up upon arriving and walking tour through Huanchaco
- Thorough introduction to the organization
- Certified training in First Aid and Child Safeguarding.
- 24/7 emergency support
- Organized activities & trips (barbeques, game nights, volunteer-lunch, team building trips) with like-minded people from all over the world
- Working in a friendly beach & surf town right next to many historical sites
- The satisfying feeling of committing your work to a good cause whilst gaining insight into a new culture.
- Certificate of completion detailing your role, the project(s) you participated in and the dates you volunteered in.
- Education and or work experience in the field of web design
- Knowledge and skills in WordPress
- HTML/ CSS proficiency
- Current background check from your home country.
- Fluent in Spanish or English
- Time Commitment: Minimum 4 weeks
- Generally, 10-25 hours a week, Monday- Friday
- This position is currently available remotely in 2020. In-house availability will start in January 2021.
Desired Skills & Competencies:
- A solid understanding of how web applications work including security, session management, and best development practice
- Design skills
- Competency in Google Analytics
- Strong understanding of SEO
- Problem solving skills
- Innovation and creativity
Related Fields of Study:
- Web Design/Development
- Computer and Information Science
- Graphic Design